Owls in the Forest Scarf
publisher Provenance Knits
designer Marsha White
Inspired by original mirror image cable designs
The inspiration for the Owls in the Forest Scarf design was from the Cable Factors Vol 1: Mirror Images e-book (2016) by stitch designer Annie Maloney.
In this stitch design, mirrored cables are framed in a trellis of mirrored cables. The pattern reminded me of owls looking out from ‘tree holes’, and the addition of beads gives them glimmering eyes.
Cabled ‘tree trunks’ form the ending scarf borders, leading up to the V-shaped cabled trellis. The scarf borders continue with ‘tree-trunks’ running up the sides, and merging in and out of the edges of the trellis cables.
In order to mirror the design for both halves of the scarf, the scarf starts with a provisional cast-on, and is knit from the middle out to the ending borders.
Sample on left shown in Shelridge Yarns Soft Touch Ultra – Moss
Pattern was professionally tech edited by Robin Melanson.
Ravelry users: you can purchase Provenance Knits pdf patterns on Marsha White's Ravelry page.
NOTE: Provenance Knit patterns use charts.
Recommended for Advanced knitters.
Pattern may be purchased below.
Cdn Shoppers – save $ on exchange and request to be charged in Cdn funds. More info here.
Shelridge Yarns Soft Touch Ultra – 100% merino, 3 – 50 gram skeins, 185 yds (169 m) each
Approximate finished and blocked size:
7” wide by 55” long; flared bottom edges 9”
Gauge swatches: in pattern stitch, knit flat
Stranded knitting: 34 sts / 32 rows = 4”
3.5 mm / 4 US,
or size to obtain gauge.
For shoppers that live in the European Union – New VAT Regulations on digital products
With the Jan 1, 2015 new regulations for VAT (VAT is now charged based on the country of the purchaser for digital products), unfortunately I have had to make a few changes.
For more details please visit the page EU Shoppers
- If you have purchased both PDFs and hardcopy items (books, patterns, yarns), the PDF download is not immediate, as I have to manually ‘complete’ all orders with hard goods. If your order is placed after hours or on a weekend, you may have to wait a day for access to your PDFs.
- For orders with only PDFs, after your order is paid for you will receive 2 automated emails. The first will list all your order details, the second will include in the subject line “is complete – download your files”. Click on the pattern name link in the email to download the pattern, and remember to save to your computer. (link is valid for 24 hours from purchase)
- You will need Acrobat Reader to open and print pattern files.
- Colour is used throughout some patterns and a colour printer is recommended.
- Patterns are formatted for 8.5″ x 11″ paper.
- For charts that are large, they are frequently printed in 2 sections on a page, which can be cut in half then taped together.
- High speed Internet access is recommended as most patterns average in file size from 1 to 2 MB.
If you have any issues with your PDF purchase please email Marsha
PDF Pattern Copyright information
These patterns are for your personal enjoyment. Please respect the copyright and do not reproduce or forward pdfs to share or sell, or knit the designs for sale.